Parents can complete the NutriSTEP® questionnaires online with Nutri-eSTEP, get immediate feedback, and link to credible articles and tools.
The NutriSTEP® questionnaires ask 17 questions about a child’s typical food choices, eating behaviours, as well as physical activity and growth.
What is NutriSTEP®?
- Parents and caregivers can find the NutriSTEP® questionnaires at www.nutritionscreen.ca in English and French.
- The questionnaires are part of a broader web tool that provides immediate feedback based on your answers, as well as links to relevant resources.
- General demographic information is collected.
- After completing all 17 questions, users receive immediate feedback.
- The NutriSTEP® questionnaires take less than 10 minutes to complete.
- Your information is kept confidential and not shared with anyone.
- Feedback messages for each question are categorized into "What is Going Well" and "What to Work On", depending on your response to the question. No scores are provided to users.
- Users can print and/or email Results and Feedback messages for themselves or for their health service providers.
- Links to credible nutrition articles, tools, recipes, and community services are provided.
- The Nutri-eSTEP tool has undergone reliability testing with parents who provided guidance on web design, functionality and content.
How will my information collected from Nutri-eSTEP be used?
- Currently, the information collected by Dietitians of Canada (DC) is grouped with other user responses and these data are for use of DC and the NutriSTEP® research team for generating reports and for research.
- Individual responses are not shared with anyone.
- With appropriate resources, opportunities can exist to obtain the required permissions, define the data report templates, and provide standardized group reports that would be valuable for provincial governments, as well as local health departments.
Are the NutriSTEP® questions available to my health service provider?
- The NutriSTEP® questionnaires are copyright protected for professional use and can only be obtained by acquiring a licence.
- Licences to use the NutriSTEP® questionnaires can be obtained. See Acquire a Licence.
- The NutriSTEP® questions must not be copied, adapted, modified or translated without the permission of the copyright owners.
Are the Nutri-eSTEP feedback messages available to my health service provider?
- Users can print and/or email Results and Feedback messages for themselves or for their health service providers. DC does not share your individual information.
- The Nutri-eSTEP site and feedback messages are the copyright of Dietitians of Canada.
- Parent-friendly messages for Toddler and Preschool healthy eating are available at UnlockFood.ca.
Help spread the word
- A flyer to promote Nutri-eSTEP is available in English and French. No hard copies are available.
- Service providers may use excerpt statements from flyers to help promote awareness and use of Nutri-eSTEP.