For additional questions or feedback, contact:
Janis Randall Simpson, Professor Emerita
Department of Family Relations and Applied Nutrition
University of Guelph
What is NutriSTEP®?
- Valid and reliable nutrition 17-item nutrition screening questionnaires for parents/caregivers of toddlers (18-35 months) and preschoolers (3-5 years) that can be completed in about 5 minutes.
- Completion of all 17 questions generates a score indicating the potential for nutrition-related problems. Parents/caregivers would typically complete a “paper” version of the questionnaire.
- NutriSTEP® screening programs are generally implemented by health service providers such as public health, school boards, primary health care providers, etc.
- Parents/caregivers are directed to appropriate resources by the health service providers implementing the screening initiative. · Free licences are available at: Acquire a Licence
How will the data collected from Nutri-eSTEP be used?
- The data collected are aggregate data on user responses and are for use of the NutriSTEP® research team for generating reports and for research.
Are the NutriSTEP® questions available to health service providers?
- The Preschool NutriSTEP® questions are the copyright of the Sudbury & District Health Unit, Heather Keller and Janis Randall Simpson.
- The Toddler NutriSTEP® questions are the copyright of Lee Rysdale, Heather Keller and Janis Randall Simpson.
- Licence to use the NutriSTEP® questionnaires can be obtained at: Acquire a Licence.
What is Nutri-eSTEP?
- Online versions of the NutriSTEP® questionnaires are located on a University of Guelph website (www.nutristep.ca).
- STEP 1: General demographic information is collected including: age and gender of the child; relationship to the child; province; and, the first three digits of the Canadian postal code.
- STEP 2: The 17 NutriSTEP® questions are presented on individual screens; “Need Help” provides additional information about each question.
- STEP 3: Users receive immediate feedback. The feedback messages for each question are categorized into “What is Going Well” and “What to Work On”, depending on the response to the question. Each question has a succinct Feedback message, as well as a “Learn More” button to read additional details and healthy eating tips.
- STEP 4: Links to credible nutrition resources are provided.
- Users can print results and feedback messages for themselves. They are not able to access their results after they leave the site.
- There are no scores provided to users for individual questions or a total score.
Are the Nutri-eSTEP feedback messages available to health service providers?
- Parent-friendly messages for Toddler and Preschool healthy eating are available at: Unlock Foods.ca.
Help Spread the Word
- Promotional materials for Nutri-eSTEP are available in Resources.
- No hard copies of resources are available.
- Service providers may excerpt statements from resources and from this website to help promote awareness and use of NutriSTEP®/Nutri-eSTEP.
- PDF versions of the NutriSTEP® questionnaires can be obtained at: Acquire a Licence.
The NutriSTEP® name and logo are Registered Trademarks of Public Health Sudbury & Districts.